About Me

My photo
My name is Hannah Meherg. I am a seventh grade English teacher. I am a former ESL teacher, Taiwan resident, theatre junkie, book lover, cookie baker, and baseball stat keeper.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Recent Conversations.


I must have lost the sign on my forehead that says “Please don’t talk to me”.

I’m not sure if I am happy about this or not.

I have now been in Taiwan for a year and two months if you count the summer vacation. I shouldn’t count the summer vacation because I was in the US, but it’s easier to say a year and two months.

Anyway most of last year was characterized by a lot of staring and little talking. What I mean by that is this: people would stare at my white, blonde headed self, but would very rarely stop and talk to me.

There were a few notable exceptions. 1. The soldier in the Kaohsiung Train Station who approached me and proceeded to chat with me for 30 minutes while I waited for joy and 2. The mainland Chinese people who must have thought I was part of the scenery at Alishan Mountain. There are probably a dozen photos floating around China somewhere of me and tiny Chinese women. And of course number 3. Frank, the nicest man who helped me buy a printer cartridge at RT Mart one day. The cashier had no idea what I was saying and I had no idea how to explain to her what I wanted. He very nicely stepped in and translated for both of us. We chatted for a few minutes and he even gave me his number telling me to call him anytime I needed anything, also explaining that his wife spoke English very well too and would help me if there were any women things I needed help with. Thanks!

Other than these few people I have not been approached very often. Several of my Caucasian friends, on the other hand, are often approached.

Recently though, it seems as if whatever was the problem has been fixed. In the past two months I have met and spoken with several very interesting people. I am always amazed at how kind people are and wanted to share these two stories with whoever reads this blog.

A few weeks ago, my roommate and I went to eat dinner at a nice little restaurant called 515. We went there mainly because they serve Thanksgiving dinner and we wanted to find out about it in preparation for this year’s celebration! While we were there, a little girl kept staring at me. I smiled at her and made a silly face like I normally do with children in Taiwan. She just kept staring. Later, her grandfather came over and introduced himself saying “she was very curious.” She was so hyper and excited, but didn’t say anything to us. However he stayed and had a nice chat with my roommate in GERMAN! Turns out he studied German Literature in University. It was such a funny experience. Turns out his father was a Taiwanese ambassador and he now taught German and English at the University nearby. He gave both of us his card and was so kind.

Yesterday at Curves (my gym for anyone who doesn’t know) I had two different people approach me and speak to me in English. Now I’ll admit, I get approached a lot at the gym and my feelings aren’t always positive. After all, I don’t like to make conversation while lifting weights or doing aerobics. However, these two women kindly waited until I was finished and stretching/cooling down to come talk to me. The first was very brief but the second woman sat down on the floor with me while I stretched and we chatted for thirty minutes! She had lived in Dallas, TX for fifteen years and was very interested in what would bring a young America to Taiwan. Her name was Jaime and her English was perfect! We chatted about why I am in Taiwan and some funny things that had happened! It was very nice and refreshing. Since we got to the gym at the same time I’m sure we will be seeing each other more often!

It just seems very odd that all of a sudden, so many people are chatting to me in English.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment