About Me

My photo
My name is Hannah Meherg. I am a seventh grade English teacher. I am a former ESL teacher, Taiwan resident, theatre junkie, book lover, cookie baker, and baseball stat keeper.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Firsts and Lasts

In the past two years I have had a lot of “firsts”. Now that I am leaving Taiwan and going home for good, I am experiencing so many “lasts”. I was thinking about some of the first and last things I am now doing.


The first time I flew long distance alone.
The first time I drove a scooter.
The first time I rode a high speed train/ or any train for that matter.
The first time I went grocery shopping at Carrefore.
The first time I celebrated Christmas without my family.
The first time I managed to order food in Chinese.
The first time I taught English to students whose native language is NOT English.
The first time I rowed with a dragonboat team.
The first time I went to Kenting.
The first time I traveled to India and China.
The first time I went to Taipei to see Alicia.
The first time I introduced holidays to people (Thanksgiving, Halloween)
The first time I took a ferry.
The first time I ate Stinky Tofu!



Now it is the last time I will
Shop at the open traditional market.
Bake in my tiny oven
Eat at Willy’s or Bus-7
Skype for hours with my parents
Chat with my roommate and friends.
Drink blueberry or raspberry juice.
Listen to Living Water Church worship and pray in Chinese.
Drink Bubble Milk Tea
Eat Mango Ice!
Eat dumplings!
Drive my scooter to the beach.
Be stared at wherever I go.
Be adored by all my students.
Take a nap during down time at work.
See my beloved friends and students.
Joke with my coworkers.
Sweat just sitting at my desk.
Live in fear of it raining on my way to work
Kill spiders and bugs large enough to eat a small dog! (just kidding)
Bake cookies for my small group
Eat sushi for one US dollar.
Teach students how to have basic conversation






No comments:

Post a Comment