About Me

My photo
My name is Hannah Meherg. I am a seventh grade English teacher. I am a former ESL teacher, Taiwan resident, theatre junkie, book lover, cookie baker, and baseball stat keeper.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Les Miserables =)

So in my last post, I referenced Les Miserables. I have had a 12 year relationship with the famous novel by Victor Hugo. It is considered one of the greatest novels of the nineteenth century and the third longest-running show in Broadway history. When I was 10 or 11, Dad went to New York with the youth at our church. They went and saw Les Mis. When he came home, he bought the CD and made me listen to it. I absolutely fell in love with it. At that point, Dad promised me that if I read the novel he would take me to see the Broadway musical.

The next year, when I was 12, our family went to Denver for Spring Break. In the airport, Dad and I were looking at the bookstore and we found a copy of the novel. Dad bought it for me. I don’t think he really expected me to read the whole thing. But I did.


It took me about two weeks, but I read all of the over 1,400 page book (remember I was 12). Anyway I told Dad I had read it, but he didn’t believe me and proceeded to quiz me extensively on the plot line. I guess I passed! In the past years, I have reread it about 5 or 6 times.

Three years later, the musical came to Birmingham and Dad took me to see it! I loved it! My favorite song is One Day More and my favorite character is Eponine. I know that everyone loves Jean val Jean, and Fantine, but something in me loves Eponine. I guess I always love the underdog. I mean the poor girl is in love with Marius, but he loves the beautiful Cosette. She sings a song about unrequited love (On My Own)  and dies in the end after getting shot and sings a beautiful duet with Marius (A Little Fall of Rain).

So in the years since that time, I have listened to the music off and on. I also began writing my thesis on the theme of paternal relationships in Les Miserables. Although I did not finish said thesis, I enjoyed delving into the relationships between fathers and daughters.

 This past weekend dad gave me a copy of the 25th Anniversary concert. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to see the songs performed again.

Here’s my favorite!


Nick Jonas as Marius was a little weird, but he did a good job. Lea Salonga as Fantine was fabulous and of course Alfie Boe as Jean Val Jean was fabulous!

And now we have tickets to see it again in Birmingham in October!

I think that the play is so powerful because the major theme is redemptions. Jean val Jean is a convict, who changes his life through his determination and the mercy of a priest. Everyone has areas in their life that need redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment