About Me

My photo
My name is Hannah Meherg. I am a seventh grade English teacher. I am a former ESL teacher, Taiwan resident, theatre junkie, book lover, cookie baker, and baseball stat keeper.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Exotic, Incredible India


India!!

I have had a hard time writing about India. I have sat down several times and tried to put my experiences into words. Until now, I have failed. But here’s another attempt.

India is a complicated land of contrasts. First it overwhelms you with color, noise, smells and the sheer number of people. Then it disgusts you with the crowds, filth, poverty and sadness. Finally it seduces you with culture and beauty. You revel in the beauty of the Taj Mahal and the beautiful shopping to be done, and then you cry over the beggers and filth.

I enjoyed India. However, I don’t want to go back. India was a wonderful experience that showed me how a large percentage of the world’s population live. I loved the culture, the shopping and the people we met. We visited so many wonderful places: The Taj Mahal in Agra, Varanasi (the Ganges river), Delhi, Khajaraso(sp?) and Jaipur. I spent my birthday at the Taj Mahal and then on a crowded, dirty train.

Robyn and I explored old ruins, temples and markets. We saw famous festivals and people bathing in the Ganges River. We watched two Bollywood movies (which we didn’t understand since it was in Hindi). We bought spices, saris, cashmere carpets and bangles. We rode an elephant, in a car, on a plane, in a rickshaw, and a train.

We experienced so much! Here are some pictures














No comments:

Post a Comment