About Me

My photo
My name is Hannah Meherg. I am a seventh grade English teacher. I am a former ESL teacher, Taiwan resident, theatre junkie, book lover, cookie baker, and baseball stat keeper.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

It's beginning to look a little like Christmas

I have made some new friends. Two weekends ago, I had the chance to go eat dinner with my new friend, Robyn. She is from South Africa and her accent is incredible. I could listen to her talk all day long. The same weekend I had a wonderful American breakfast with a random guy from America. We happened to end up sitting next to one another at the restaurant and you really can’t just sit there without speaking to the only other foreigner in the room.

Not a terrible lot has gone on. My schedule is kind of back to normal… Last week, my favorite class (yes we have favorites), the 11th grade PE class, decorated their classroom for Christmas. I taught them how to make snowflakes and we drew on the board and put up a small Christmas tree. 
This week, my English conversation club decorated our English classroom for Christmas. It was very fun and very humorous seeing 13 (normally very shy) students decorate the Christmas tree. It’s not how I would decorate it, but I’m gonna leave it since they worked so hard. We also made construction paper garlands and wrote letters to Santa. 

Christmastime has been harder than I expected. Luckily I am very busy so I don’t necessarily have tons of time to miss people and things. And I don’t miss a lot of stuff. There are Christmas decorations here, they are just very gaudy and ugly. I miss things like making Christmas cookies and actually going shopping for Christmas presents. I miss being around my family and helping decorate the Christmas tree…

Mom and Dad mailed me an AWESOME care package full of Christmassy things. They especially sent me cookie cutters and coloring food and Christmas sprinkles. The problem is that by the time I actually get the time to make Christmas cookies, it might be after Christmas. I have some plans for Christmas, but if there is one thing I have learned since I have been here, it is how quickly all plans can change.

My Chinese continues to improve. I can actually speak a few full sentences now. However, I have trouble remembering the new words and if I remember the new words, I have trouble remembering the right tones for them (which is VERY important). I guess I just need to study and practice more.  

It looks like I am probably going to be starting a new foreigner small group at my church. We are getting too big and so we are going to have to go into two groups. I am very nervous about this as I had not anticipated a leadership position so quickly. I don’t really feel ready to lead a group of my peers, but I am willing to do whatever God wants me to do. 

Also!! I get to come home for a visit in January!! I will be home January 21- February 3! I am very excited. I can’t wait to see everyone and be able to speak nothing but English for the time!! 

I hope you all enjoy your Christmas season. Don’t take time with your family for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment