About Me

My photo
My name is Hannah Meherg. I am a seventh grade English teacher. I am a former ESL teacher, Taiwan resident, theatre junkie, book lover, cookie baker, and baseball stat keeper.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Things I miss

I don’t miss much about America. Most things that I really want, I can fine. Costco sells Goldfish and bagels along with candy. I can make my own desserts. Carrefore carries most of the things I need to cook with. There is Starbucks, McDonalds and Subway. But there are some distinct pleasures that I can not duplicate.

Things I miss about America/ the south.

  1. Sweet Tea – They sell a sweet black tea here, but it just isn’t the same as the hummingbird food that I can make out of Lipton tea bags.
  2. Powerade Slushies from Sonic – nothing can match these.
  3. Driving a car/ singing in a car – scooters are nice and convenient, but I miss being able to jam out without people hearing me.
  4. I miss being able to watch TV shows when they actually air, instead of having to wait until the come online or on itunes.
  5. I miss having a couch.
  6. I miss worship music that is in English.
  7. Chik-fil-a – I only thought I missed this yummy goodness while I was in Thomasville and Livingston. At least then it was only a short drive away. Mark my words, one of the first things I will eat once back in America will be a #1 Combo (Chicken sandwich with waffle fries) with Barbeque sauce.
  8. Ground beef – difficult to find here
  9. I miss blending in. Seriously people stare at me all the time.
  10. Holiday themed items – Although I one of the first to complain about Halloween, Christmas and Valentines décor and like items being displayed far too early, it was one of the things that got you in the mood for the holiday. Nada here… No fun, creepy Halloween masks and costumes. No Christmas decorations and candy… No insipid, gaudy hearts hanging everywhere demanding “BE MINE!!” So sad.
  11. I miss people who actually obey traffic laws.
  12. I miss being able to find clothes that are normal. Everything here looks like it belongs to a five year old: in size and in the fact that it is covered in bows and glitter and cartoons.
Funny...most of this is food. I did not put people on here, because that is obvious that I miss people.

No comments:

Post a Comment